Amazon Products Causing Fire Hazards in Homes

Amazon Products Causing Fire Hazards in Homes

Amazon is the second-largest retailer in the United States, with only Walmart topping the website’s annual sales. With more than $120 billion in sales revenue in a single year, you should be able to expect that Amazon will be careful to ensure that it sells products safe for consumers. Unfortunately, reports in recent years indicate that various products sold by Amazon present a serious fire and burn risk to consumers.

Specifically, the AmazonBasics line of household goods has been the source of different hazards, including:

  • Phone chargers
  • Car chargers
  • Other USB cords
  • Surge protectors
  • Microwaves
  • Paper shredders

Different reviews of the above products include warnings or reports of the following:

  • Smoking
  • Fire
  • Melting
  • Catching fire
  • Other electrical malfunctions

If you have electrical products from AmazonBasics, it is important to check other consumer reviews and reports to determine whether they might pose a risk of injury in your home.

Injuries from Defective Electrical Products

One report involved an Amazon USB charger getting too hot and causing an office chair to catch on fire. The owner of the chair suffered burns trying to prevent further spread of the fire. Another charger caught fire in a car with a toddler inside. Another eight-year-old child was warming up macaroni and cheese when the microwave burst into flames.

Defective electrical products can result in serious burns, many of which need medical attention and might even result in permanent scarring. Consumers who purchase defective products should recover from companies for their losses.

Contact a Product Liability Lawyer in Covington for Help

The law office of Ben F. Windham, P.C., has the resources to take on large corporations on behalf of injured clients. Contact us online or call 833.236.9467 for a free consultation and to learn how a Covington product liability attorney can help you.