Cargo Spill Accidents
Spilling cargo can cause accidents that harm and kill innocent road users. Annually, these accidents cause huge losses to property and lives. Both hazardous and non-hazardous materials can cause secondary accidents as drivers attempt to avoid spills. In addition, drivers and others can be seriously injured if they are exposed to hazardous materials.
Thankfully, people who are injured in cargo spill accidents can often recover compensation. Below, we discuss some of the reasons these terrible accidents occur. For more information or to discuss your case with a South Atlanta truck accident lawyer, call our office today,
What Causes Spill Accidents?
Many factors cause spill accidents, and here are the leading ones worth noting:
- Failing to secure cargo on trucks could cause spilling, causing accidents
- Loss of truck control due to unforeseeable challenges like tire bursts or engine failures
- Other vehicles suddenly drifting into lanes before trucks or vice versa
- Poorly maintained roads
- Hostile road conditions because of bad weather
- Turning too swiftly
- Trucks suddenly braking or other vehicles doing the same before trucks
- Underloading liquid cargo like gasoline or water makes it slosh back and forth in tanker trailers
- Irregular and improper truck maintenance
- Not implementing safety devices to keep a trailer’s cargo secure
Although spill accidents can be disastrous, they are preventable. The federal government maintains regulations that set standards for securing cargo on trucks and trailers, and it is critical for truck drivers to follow these regulations because they ensure that cargo stays secure. Moreover, compliance secures cargo when turning, decelerating, or stopping.
Call Us Today to Speak with a South Atlanta Truck Accident Attorney
If you have been hurt in a truck accident involving a cargo spill, you may be able to recover compensation for your accident-related losses. To schedule a free case evaluation with a South Atlanta truck accident lawyer, call Ben F. Windham, PC, today at 833.236.9476 or contact us online.