Stone Mountain Wrongful Death Attorney
Wrongful death claims refer to a special type of personal injury claim in which the injured party succumbs to the injuries sustained in an accident – and his or her survivors seek compensation through the at-fault party’s insurance coverage. These are obviously the most emotionally fraught personal injury cases, and while no amount of compensation can ever put the matter right, obtaining your rightful compensation can help ease the transition toward your drastically altered future. If you’ve lost a loved one to someone else’s negligence, a compassionate wrongful death lawyer can help.
What Constitutes a Wrongful Death Claim?
For a death to be classified as a wrongful death, which is a civil matter (not a criminal matter), the at-fault party’s negligent, intentional, reckless, or criminal behavior must have been the cause. Negligence here means an absence of reasonable care – such as the kind drivers owe one another – that ends in the ultimate harm of death.
The damages you are allowed to pursue in a Georgia wrongful death claim include:
- The lost wages of the victim (including estimated earnings into the future)
- Compensation for the deprivation of your loved one’s companionship and care
- Your loved one’s funeral and burial costs
- Medical costs experienced between the time of the accident and the victim’s ultimate end
Who May File the Claim?
In the State of Georgia, the following survivors (in order) are allowed to bring wrongful death claims:
- The surviving spouse
- Any surviving children
- Both surviving parents or a surviving parent
- A personal representative of the victim’s estate (the recovered damages are held in the estate, from which they are distributed to the victim’s closest living relative).
Work Closely with an Experienced Wrongful Death Lawyer in Stone Mountain
Wrongful death claims require specific legal finesse, and the dedicated Stone Mountain wrongful death attorneys at the law offices of Ben F. Windham, PC, have what it takes to help. You can schedule a free consultation by contacting us online or calling us at 833.236.9467 today.