What Caused Your Truck Crash?
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported that about 415,000 traffic crashes involved large commercial trucks in a single year in the United States. Truck accidents happen when you least expect them, and if the trucking company, truck driver, or another party caused your accident, you have important legal rights. It is always wise to have a truck accident attorney in Atlanta evaluate your case as soon as you can.
Common Reasons for Truck Accidents
Many truck accidents happen due to errors on the part of the truck driver. Even though commercial drivers have specialized training and licenses, they still make mistakes and poor decisions like any other driver on the road might do. Some common errors include:
- Texting or other distractions
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, including prescription drugs
- Driving while overly fatigued or exceeding hours of service limits
- Exceeding the speed limit or driving too fast for weather or road conditions
- Aggressive driving, including tailgating
- Dangerous lane changes and not checking blind spots
Trucking companies can often be liable for the negligent acts of their employee-drivers. However, trucking companies can act negligently in ways that cause accidents and injuries, as well. Some types of misconduct by trucking companies include:
- Hiring unqualified drivers or drivers with a history of dangerous driving
- Not performing the necessary alcohol and drug tests on employee-drivers
- Not getting trucks regularly inspected and maintained
There are many other possible causes of truck accidents, and determining the exact cause of your crash is necessary to protect your rights.
Speak with a Truck Accident Lawyer in Atlanta as Soon as Possible
Atlanta truck accident attorney Ben F. Windham has the resources and experience to identify liability in complicated truck accident cases. To schedule a free case evaluation with Windham Law, please call 833.236.9467 or contact us online today.