When to Call a Henry County Police Brutality and Excessive Force Attorney

When to Call a Henry County Police Brutality and Excessive Force Attorney

When police officers use excessive force, they violate your rights under the Fourth Amendment. Victims of this type of violation might have the right to file a lawsuit against the offending officers or perhaps the locality that oversees the law enforcement agency. If you were the victim of police brutality, speak with a Henry County excessive force lawyer as soon as possible.

Your Rights Under the Law

42 U.S. Code § 1983, also known as Section 1983, gives individuals the right to take civil action against defendants who violate their constitutional rights while acting under the color of law. When police use excessive force and violate your right against unreasonable seizure, they can be held accountable for the harm they caused under this federal law, or even potentially under the Georgia Tort Claims Act. Victims can seek damages for the violations of their rights and the injuries they endured.

Proving Your Case

In order to prevail in a police brutality case, you must first prove that the force used was excessive. Law enforcement officers are generally permitted to use force when needed to make arrests or protect themselves from harm. However, this is not without limitation, as police may not use more force than a situation requires. For example, police cannot use deadly force unless there is an imminent threat of serious bodily harm or death. You also might have to overcome an officer’s claims of qualified immunity, which can be a tricky legal matter.

Contact Our Henry County Police Brutality Lawyers Right Away

The best way to protect your rights after a police brutality incident is to contact a Henry County excessive force attorney from the office of Ben F. Windham, PC. Contact us online or call 833.236.9467 so we can evaluate your legal options and stand up for what’s right.